[bittorrent] Help or feature request

arvid at cs.umu.se arvid at cs.umu.se
Mon Oct 4 00:25:24 EDT 2010

If your files are likely to change in whole files at a time (as opposed to
source code for instance, where you're likely to have inserts and deletes in the
middle of the file), you might get it to work fairly well with bittorrent.

If you append the version of a file to its filename, you could use an RSS feed
with .torrents and make sure that they all are saved to the same directory. That
way a new torrent with many identical files, would pick them up from the save
directory. It's important of course to not have filename collisions for files
that are different.

If you want to have an efficient way of generating new torrent files, with
mostly the same files, you could use pad-files (as introduced by BitComet, but
it can be done a lot more elegant than that by adding extension flags). With
padding files you make sure that all files are aligned to a piece boundary, and
that you can re-use the hashes that you've already calculated for a file in your
new torrent.

--
Arvid Norberg