[bittorrent] partial download

Song Zhang songzhang2008 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 22:10:15 EST 2009

Actually, I am trying to modify the code of bittorrent v3.3 to implement the
partial download. ( for the experiment of paper )
For example, although all the peers are downloading a multifile torrent
including file a+b, some of the peers only interested file a, some
interested in file b, and others interested in file a+b, peers interested in
a only downloading pieces from file a, the same for peers interested in file
b. once it got the file a or file b, it will leave.(selfish)

I have some problem as the following.

1. each time the remote peer wants to communicate(send data) with local
peer, it will send handshake message and bitfield and other message to the
local peer although the tcp connection is established already, right ? that
is why i can see many bitfield message from one remote peer ?

2. I tried to modify the Downloadery.py, the function of got_have,
got_have_bitfield, _request_more
the PiecePicker.py, the function of next()

3. I found the pieceselection policy if only useful in the function next(),
but there are still possibilities that the local peer get piece from the
result of got_have(), right ?