[bittorrent] (Somewhat offtopic) pool.ntp.org-like tracker ?

Adrian Ulrich torrent at blinkenlights.ch
Tue Jun 9 01:35:15 EDT 2009

> I had that sort of a system running for a few years actually. My
> original network has fallen down to just one system

Interesting! Did you own all of the systems? Why did it fall down
to one system?

> I just used multitracker instead of round-robin DNS because some systems
> in [...] Additionally, failover in case of a tracker
> being down happens without intervention from outside scripting for the
> most part.

Multitracker might be simpler to implement but it has two big disadvantages:

 - You must tell people to use the *correct* tracker-list while creating torrents
   This is easy in a private environment but won't work for an open tracker
 - Old torrents won't know about any new/dead trackers

The DNS version will 'just work' and isn't that complicated: ~30 lines of perl code
should do it. Handling strong/weak systems also isn't hard: The DNS just
has to return IPs of 'strong' systems more often.

Regards,
 Adrian