[bittorrent] Best tool for sniffing BitTorrent messages?

Kirk True kirk at mustardgrain.com
Wed Aug 12 17:50:17 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm looking at sniffing the requests that various BitTorrent clients
make in order to improve my prototype client. I started off using
Wireshark but I can't get it to reliably recognize BitTorrent messages.
Interestingly the messages my prototype BitTorrent client generates are
parseable in Wireshark while those interchanged between Transmission are
not.

So, for Linux, Mac OS X, Windows, what is the best tool for sniffing the
messages that the BitTorrent clients generate? I can use tcpdump,
Wireshark, etc. to see the TCP traffic, but I'd like a tool that will
"understand" the requests and display them as BitTorrent messages.

I've got to believe this is possible. I've done this 100 times over for
HTTP, SMB, my own code, etc.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Kirk