[bittorrent] Piece download strategy

arvid at cs.umu.se arvid at cs.umu.se
Thu Apr 23 19:50:46 EDT 2009

Quoting chris erway <cce at cs.brown.edu>:
> Libtorrent has "sequential download support"; one of our seminar
> groups once worked on tweaking its strategy to mix rarest-first with
> sequential.

http://www.rasterbar.com/products/libtorrent/manual.html#set-sequential-download-is-sequential-download

In libtorrent svn (trunk) there's a new function called set_piece_deadline(),
which is expected to be used for mixing in-order download with rarest first.

What it does is that it makes pieces that are given a deadline be picked from
the peer that will complete it first. i.e. each peer's request queue and rate
is taken into account. The average completion time as well as average deviation
is collected, and pieces with a deadline too far in the future will not be
pre-empted until the deadline is closer than a timeout based on those
measurements.

See:

  http://code.rasterbar.com/libtorrent/browser/trunk/docs/manual.rst#L1867

--