[bittorrent] Piece download strategy

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 00:31:42 EDT 2009

(I've read the FAQ, and watched Bram's talk online [1])

I know that the download strategy used by BT is usually rarest first.
However, this means that there usually are many "holes" in a file when
downloading.

It's not a problem if the torrent is well seeded. However if the
availability of seeds is not stable, or if there is only 1 seed, then
I think using the sequential order can give the user quite a lot of
benefits -- if it is a music or movie file, then the user can at least
view the beginning of it, and if it is a source tarball, then at least
some part of the directory can be extracted...

Any one has worked on this before?? I am not replacing the rarest
first strategy, but if the availability is same, then I want to bias
towards sequential order (or even biggest consecutive piece first --
try to construction a bigger piece).

Thanks,
Rayson

[1]: