[bittorrent] Peer and blocks asking behaviour

Thad Ward coderjoe at grnet.com
Wed Jul 30 18:23:54 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 07:45:36PM +0200, Adrian Ulrich wrote:

> My client tries to fill pieces with data from a single peer:
> This might be slower than asking multiple clients but makes it harder
> for an 'evil' peer to corrupt multipile pieces.

I think getting all the chunks for a single piece from the same peer
makes it easier for an "evil" peer to corrupt the data, as it could
(in theory at least) send a piece that is a hash collision with the
correct data. Getting the data from multiple peers makes it harder for
one peer to corrupt the swarm, provided there are more non-evil peers
than evil peers that have the correct data.