[bittorrent] Peer and blocks asking behaviour

michele at nectarine.it michele at nectarine.it
Fri Jul 25 05:22:33 EDT 2008

I was wondering how most of the BT clients behave when asking blocks
to the other peers.
My doubt is about pieces and blocks.
Let's suppose we have multiple unchoked peers. My client is interested
in one particular piece.
When asking for a piece, does the client select a peer that has that
particular piece or ask to all the peers that have that piece?
In case of selecting one particular peer, how is it chosen? Randomly
or by the best upload speed?
In case of the peer selected is non responding, how the client will behave?

I have also a doubt about blocks:
- a peer ask for all the blocks contained in a piece only to one peer
(the first who answer to the piece request?)
- a peer ask for all the blocks contained in a piece to the peers that
have that piece

Thanks