[bittorrent] Why are blocks smaller than pieces?

Ryan Walklin ryanwalklin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 01:50:30 EDT 2007

I hadn't realised it was down that low. Hrm, I agree that eventually
computer power will make what you describe feasible.

However an effective defence against this is to force getting a piece  from
multiple peers. This means even if malicious peers are supplying bad data
which would pass a hash, the combination of partial good and bad data would
still fail hashing. You can then ban peers based on this knowledge as I've
already described, and include the IP in a blocklist, eg by submitting it to
Bluetack.

Certainly though, it is a weakness in the protocol. How practically
exploitable this is, I'm not sure, as you would both need to generate bad
data based on a collision, then get enough IPs seeding so that there was a
reasonable change of getting the peer being attacked to complete a piece
entirely composed of requests from bad peers.

The other point is that colliding data would have to be the same length as
the original block, ie for a torrent with 512 kb chunks, a 512kb length of
data with the same hash as one of the torrent pieces. I don't know a lot
about cryptography, but I can't find any reference to a collision
necessarily being the same length, which it would have to be to successfully
attack bittorrent using this code.

Another potential workaround is to include a comment containing the MD5 of
the entire download, or larger chunks in the torrent (outside the info
section so the infohash stays constant) so that paranoid clients can rehash
the file when the download is complete. The failed large chunks could then
be identified for redownload.

Interesting points though, and will probably need to be formally addressed
sooner or later. I'd really like to see any fixes being introduced in a
backwards-compatible way though.

Regards,

Ryan