[bittorrent] A few questions regarding extended messages and DHT

Adrian Ulrich torrent at blinkenlights.ch
Wed Oct 31 12:33:05 EDT 2007

Hi,

> I spoke too soon... The latest uTorrent does just the reverse of what you
> wrote above (even though your reasoning is perfectly valid AFAICT).

Interesting. I've just changed my client to send ' m => { ut_pex => 23 } ' and got some interesting results:

RECV: 1 ;;  <-TR0910-kna91tg5enxv>
RECV: 23 ;; <-AZ2504-vu> (Always tought that azureus doesn't support ut_pex. Is this a fake client?!)
RECV: 23 ;; <-KT2210-882503849709>
RECV: 23 ;; <-UT1750-z>
RECV: 23 ;; <-UT1610-VBn>

> Should I assume that uTorrent is broken?

Both methods would make 'sense', but we should agree on what method to use :-)

So currently we got two groups of clients:

| Client sends $own-index and    | Client sends $own-index and expects  |
| expects to receive $own-index  | to receive $peer-index               |
| uTorrent 1.6x - 1.7x           | Transmission (libtorrent)            |
| KTorrent                       | Bitflu                               |
| Azureus (?)                    |                                      |

I don't know what mainline does (never seen it sending any eproto messages) but as uTorrent holds
a big 'market-share' libtorrent and bitflu should switch to the 'send own, receive own' method IMO.

Regards,
 Adrian