[bittorrent] more DHT Information

Adrian Ulrich torrent at blinkenlights.ch
Mon May 21 14:25:30 EDT 2007

Hi Janek,

> I'd like to know if there is any more information (other than the
> DHT-Draft http://www.bittorrent.org/Draft_DHT_protocol.html) for the
> Mainline-DHT available.

Mainline uses Kademlia. Did you read the 'Kademlia-Paper' ? :
 http://www.cs.rice.edu/Conferences/IPTPS02/109.pdf
 http://www.scs.stanford.edu/~dm/home/papers/maymounkov:kademlia.ps.gz

It describes the idea behind kademlia pretty good, you should
read it before starting to implement Kademlia.

Draft_DHT_protocol.html just tells you how are going to communicate
with other peers (= what data to send) but it doesn't explain
Kademlia itself.

> Especially I am looking for information regarding the procedures
> like "joining the DHT"

Joining Kademlia means to start searching a Hash.
Your node will become known to other pears as it starts
to do find_node / get_peers / etc queries.

Regards,
 Adrian