[bittorrent] Measuring BitTorrent

Arnaud Legout Arnaud.Legout at sophia.inria.fr
Tue May 15 04:45:22 EDT 2007

Hi,

just as a reminder (because this information might have been lost),
for the ones who want to do experimental studies of BitTorrent, and
in particular who want to have detailed traces of a live BitTorrent client,
we have instrumented a mainline client.

This client logs all the messages received and sent, and also many
internal details
of the algorithms in a human readable format (however, this format was
designed to be
easily parsed using python scripts).
We have spent a lot of effort on this instrumentation.
We have been using this client for around two years, and we
have published two studies based on the traces we collected. Therefore, we
are pretty confident of the correctness of our instrumentation.

This client is open source (under the BitTorrent v1.0 license) and
freely available here:
http://www-sop.inria.fr/planete/Arnaud.Legout/Projects/p2p_cd.html
you can find a short documentation and the related publications at the
same link.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any question. In particular,
we would be delighted to support
the use of this client for projects related to our interests.

Regards,
Arnaud Legout.

--
Arnaud Legout, Ph.D.

INRIA Sophia Antipolis - Planète  Phone : 00.33.4.92.38.78.15
2004 route des lucioles - BP 93   Fax   : 00.33.4.92.38.79.78
06902 Sophia Antipolis CEDEX      E-mail: arnaud.legout at sophia.inria.fr
FRANCE                            Web   : http://www-sop.inria.fr/planete/Arnaud.Legout/index.html