[bittorrent] DHT - Clarifying the spec

Alan McGovern alan.mcgovern at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 08:07:19 EST 2007

Hi,

Reject anything but strings. Use 4-byte strings for requests.

So, will we agree that they should only be bencoded strings then? That
sounds perfectly reasonable to me. The only thing is that if it were
enforced that they should be 4 bytes in length, it would pretty much
alienate every existing client. So how about we say a transaction id has to
be a bencoded string that is between 1 and 4 bytes in length (inclusive)?
Also, can we explicitly state that tokens must be a BEncodedString of length
between 1 and 20 bytes (inclusive)?

No, you are supposed to have a cache because kademlia always prefers

'old' contacts :-)

 '4.1 Optimized contact accounting' talks about it.

I can't seem to find that paragraph in either the kademlia paper or the
bittorrent page :p Where is it?

My implementation simply drops such *replys*.

Inserting the node into a new bucket may make sense but in 'real-world'

the new node ID likely has a longer distance and such buckets are

almost always full anyway...

So will we take it that replies from ip/port combinations which return a
different nodeid to the one that was expected should be silently ignored?

So, that leaves me with the timeout values. Can we get some hard figures for
those. I'm still unsure where exactly i need to have timeout values as i
haven't finished my own library yet. The places where it seems to matter so
far are for 'tokens', waiting for replies to queries and timing a peer out.
The spec does detailed information for when to decide when a node is dead
and for how long to accept tokens for, but when should a peer be marked for
not replying to a message? 30 seconds after sending? 1 minute after sending?
The kademlia paper says that if it fails to respond to 5 messages in a row
it should be considered dead. Is there anything else i'm missing?

Thanks,
Alan