[bittorrent] State of Super-seeding (bittorrent-list: tiennou7 at gmail.com exclusive)

Adrian Ulrich torrent at blinkenlights.ch
Sun Aug 12 11:34:01 EDT 2007

> What should I reply to a peer I have already sent a piece (and thus
> I'm waiting for a HAVE message from elsewhere to seed again) ?

You are talking about
 http://www.bittornado.com/docs/superseed.txt, correct?

> spec says : "Until then, the client will not have access to any of
> the other pieces of the seed, and therefore will not waste the seed's
> bandwidth."

The client as no access to any other pieces because it does
*not know* that you have other pieces (You did not send
a full bitfield)

Just do whatever you would do to any other peer that asks
you for pieces you do not have: Kill the connection / Blacklist it,
etc..

> Combined with the FPE, I have the choice between sending a SUGGEST to
> a FPE-enabled peer, or a plain HAVE. IIRC
> [...]
> If I was sure sending a peer a SUGGEST would force it get the piece,
> I'll be happy, but maybe I should just send a HAVE, from the reaction
> is documented.

There was a long thread about this: <20070412165059.GG18029 at server.c-otto.de>

Quote from http://bittorrent.org/fast_extensions.html
 "Suggest Piece is an advisory message meaning "you might like to download this piece."

-> If you just would like to give other peers a 'hint', use SUGGEST
-> If you need to enforce something, use HAVE

Regards,
 Adrian