[bittorrent] Endgame mode

Joris Guisson joris.guisson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 03:42:45 EDT 2007

I agree, figured that one out a long time ago and once I came to that
conclusion, I also realized that a special endgame mode is useless.

My client just distributes the peers over the pieces that are currently
downloading, it tries to avoid multiple peers on the same piece, by starting
the download of new pieces. (when all pieces have a peer)

At the end of the download, there are no more pieces left to start, so it
automatically assigns free peers to the remaining ones, resulting in
multiple peers for the same piece. So you end up in some sort of 'endgame'
mode without even having to switch to a different algorithm.

Joris,

On 8/5/07, Alan McGovern <alan.mcgovern at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was thinking, the best condition for entering endgame mode would be when
> there are zero blocks free to be requested. There's no point in having a
> fixed limit like '20 pieces remaining'. I want to reword that section to
> indicate that 'zero pieces remaining' is the preferred indicator of when to
> enter endgame.

The reason is that suppose you have 50 open connections downloading the last