[bittorrent] IO bound

Alan McGovern alan.mcgovern at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 12:18:22 EDT 2007

> Good to know. My current opinion though is to give virtually all clients
> a correct implementation of the already mentioned "suggest" thing - if I
> have the time, which I doubt.

The two main clients would be uTorrent (closed source) and Azureus (open
source). If both of them were to implement the fast extensions, then things
would improve. Since uTorrent's main (and only) dev has sold on uTorrent to
alternative developers, i have no idea how likely it is that it will support
the Fast Extensions.

Azureus is opensource and actively maintained, it is highly likely that it
could support the Fast extensions by the next release cycle if someone were
to be motivated to implement it.

But i do agree that if you want a solution *now*, you will have to use the
bitfield/have message procedure. Having a "good" implementation of the
SuggestPiece message in a large proportion of torrent clients will not
happen overnight.

Alan.