[bittorrent] Encryption, Azureus Extended Messaging and reserved bits...

David P. Mott dpmott at sep.com
Tue Sep 12 12:20:49 EDT 2006

Sorry for the late response, I only receive batch emails from the list.

Yeah, that looks good.

I'm not an expert at wiki's, but if you could get the client names to be
*vertical*, then it'll make for a nice compact table.  Just a thought.

Also... an "unknown & unofficial" extension should probably just be left
off the table (as I'm looking at it, I don't see any red-highlighted
rows), and if the extension becomes known but is still unofficial, then we
can list it in orange.  Were you thinking of another use of the red
highlighting?

You may also want to reiterate (from 10.2 "DataTypes") that "all integers
in the peer wire protocol are encoded as four byte big-endian values".

Finally, this would be *the* place to reiterate (from section 10.4
"Handshake") that:

"An email from Bram suggests that trailing bits should be used first, so
that leading bits may be used to change the meaning of trailing bits."

Ummm... along with an appropriate translation of "leading" and "trailing"
into LSB and MSB.  I'll take a wild guess here and say that LSB (bits)
should be used first... although I'm noticing that the mainline client is
already using bits 61 and 64.

WTF?

Yeah, ummm... I'll just trust you to describe it correctly in the face of
all of that confusion ;)

Thanks for doing this work.  :)

-dpmott