[bittorrent] Encryption, Azureus Extended Messaging and reserved bits...

David P. Mott dpmott at sep.com
Mon Sep 11 14:17:49 EDT 2006

I was suprised when I read that there was not a place on the WIKI for
people to document their use of the reserved bits.  I guess when I
originally put that page together, I was thinking that Bram would do more
with it, and didn't want to encourage others to step on his toes by
grabbing bits for their own use.

If you *do* get some information and decide to update the WIKI, I'd like
to suggest that you organize it in a way that:
1. Provides a title for the feature
2. Provides a description of the feature
3. Defines the bit that is most commonly used/accepted for the feature
4. Provides a place to list the bittorrent clients that implement this
    feature AND THE BIT(s) THAT THEY USE FOR IT.

Hopefully the last part will be (or become) redundant identical
information, but if there *are* clients out there that just randomly used
a bit for something, then we'd probably like to know about it and have a
place to document it.

Also, an old Yahoo post from Bram suggested that the LSB bits be used
first, so that MSB bits could "override" their meaning.  So, for example,
if bit #3 represents "ZIP compression", but bit #5 overrides this to mean
"SHA link encryption + compression", then clients should list *all* of the
bits that *could* affect the meaning of bit #3, and what they need to be
set to to get the feature described for "ZIP compression".  Under the
heading of "SHA link encryption", it might mention that #3 would enable
compression on the SHA link when bit #5 is in use.

Sorry for the corny example, I couldn't think of anything better off the
top of my head.

-dpmott