[bittorrent] question about bittorent traffic

Demetres Antoniades deanton at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 10:24:06 EDT 2006

Hello,

I am trying to understand when a bittorrent client will initiate a
connection to another
client in order to upload a chunk of the file. I would expect that the
initiator of the
connection would be the interested leecher but in a packet trace that
I have I see
the uploader initiating the connection sending the handshake message
"19BitTorrent Protocol" and after he gets a response it uploads a
chunk of the file.
Does anyone know if this is the default way of sharing chunks or if
this happens under certain circumstances. I would expect this to
happen when the uploader is behind a NAT and so the downloader can not
access him. But in my experiment this is not the case.

Thanks,
Demetres