[bittorrent] DHT: How to reply to get_peers when I have neither any peers nor closer nodes?

Adrian Ulrich torrent at blinkenlights.ch
Thu Nov 16 12:30:57 EST 2006

> On a related note (if you don't mind), is there any recommendation on how to
> decide whether to track a torrent?  Currently I do it if the info hash falls
> in my bucket range, but that means I'm tracking between 400-500 torrents
> which seems a little excessive.  Is that a normal number?

Quote from 109.pdf:
   To store a key,value pair, a participant locates the k closest nodes
   to the key and sends them STORE RPCs.

..so i guess what you are doing is correct.

I left my DHT-node running for about 3-4 days and didn't even validate
if my peerid is within the k-closest nodes: Currently i've seen
announce messages for about 1710 different info hashes.

It may seem to be excessive but storing the information doesn't really
use much memory.

--
            A. Top posters