[bittorrent] Proposed Extension to Peer Protocol

David P. Mott dpmott at sep.com
Wed Nov 15 12:15:32 EST 2006

I realize that I'm taking this out of context, but... it seems like it
would be useful on a number of different levels to document the
shortcomings and weaknesses of the bittorrent protocol, possibly
accompanied with the algorithms or safeguards that are commonly used to
address them.

For instance, given a weakness that lends itself to a malicious attack, an
entry in the WIKI would be useful if it were accompanied with a way to
safeguard against that attack.

Other weaknesses may not open an implementation to attack, but may make
something "harder"; these weaknesses could be listed with work-arounds or
clever algorithms to achieve the desired goal.  (I'm thinking here of some
research projects that work hard to get a view of the whole swarm, for
instance.  There's also the "problem" of "downloading a single file in a
multi-file torrent", which has already been solved).

Does anyone think that this would be a useful addition to the WIKI?