[bittorrent] Problems connecting with tracker

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Fri Mar 10 21:21:57 EST 2006

Brett Cooper wrote:

> the moment.  It was a bit confusing why you couldn't send the hash value
> just as a normal string.  All the characters in the string would appear
> to be ok values for a url, but then I realized that embedded hex code

In hindsight, it probably would have been more sensible to specify that
these fields are sent as ascii hexadecimal instead of urlencoded raw
binary, as that would have been slightly simpler and more compact on
average.

However, when you are implementing an existing protocol you don't get to
make these decisions, you have to do what the spec says.  So the fact
that "they appear to be okay values" doesn't matter at all, the only
thing that matters is what the protocol designer said, and that's
urlencoding.

Brian