[bittorrent] Protocol Deviation in Mainline

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Thu Mar 2 03:27:26 EST 2006

>From: Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek at gmail.com>
> I did notice (one of the users of my client) and I decreases chunk
> size from 32 to 16 kbyte.
> uTorrent copied mainline's behaviour and refused to argue about it.

I figured. Realistically it shouldn't make too much of a difference
(though it does increase overhead slightly).

I'm guessing the most likely reason is to allow other messages more often
and therefore keep a more accurate picture of the swarm. This though is
spurious reasoning, you're still likely to continue in progress pieces.
Could be the desire is to more precisely tit-for-tat, but this is also
spurious because on any links you're going to transfer a lot more than
32KB in one choke-period (10 seconds) so the increased precision simply
get overwhelmed. Even the old 32KB is small compared to most files being
transfered and bandwidth, why cap at 16KB? (I can't see it doing anything
but breaking compatibility)