[bittorrent] Friend-machines-assisted approach to boosting one's BT download

Harold Feit dwknight at depthstrike.com
Sun Jun 11 18:31:58 EDT 2006

Elliott Mitchell wrote:
>> From: Harold Feit <dwknight at depthstrike.com>

>>> State the reasoning.
>>>
>>> I don't see how this would happen. If you were calculating your numbers
>>> incorrectly, I can easily see how you would come to this conclusion, but
>>> this doesn't match reality. In particular if you count each member of the
>>> group as a true distinct peer, then yes you reach this conclusion. Since
>>> there is only one true downloader here though, you must count the entire
>>> aggregate _group_ as one peer.
>
>> No you can not count the entire aggregate group as one peer.
>> Each member of the aggregate group has different peer connections than
>> the other. Because of this, each peer that is connected to a different
>> member of the aggregate group sees a different completion.
>> With the members of the aggregate group actually following the rules
>> about reporting the pieces they have, peers that connect to members of
>> the group can only have a partial view of the pieces that the member
>> group has.
>> Even if they have a full view of the pieces that the group has, they can
>> only ever have access to the pieces of the members they connect to.
>
> Yeah, so? Where is the problem?
>
> Slaves act as normal peers except they have a list of pieces that they
> don't have and yet do not want (the pieces that the master or other
> slaves have obtained). Otherwise their decision making is identical to
> any other peer. How can this harm the swarm?

By preventing non-cluster peers that they connect to from downloading
pieces from outside of the locally-obtained set of a given peer in the
cluster.

> Peers *never* have a complete view of the swarm, because in most cases
> they never connect to every other peer. Yet even with this incomplete
> view, BT seems to work quite well. The only thing I see would be if a
> gigantic (say 200+) group joined a very small swarm (say 5 peers),
> because they would flood the swam.
>
> The only harm I see is if a client assumes behavior that is not required
> by the protocol. Then presuming that a slave will perfectly conform to
> your model. Such as assuming that a peer will be interested in
> downloading every piece you have (Azeureus and not telling you about all
> the pieces it has, on the assumption that it doesn't need to).
In this proposal, the individual cluster peers won't tell about pieces
that those peers don't have. If they advertise pieces that other peers
in the cluster have but they don't, they will be in violation.

> Again, slaves and the master conform to the BitTorrent protocol. If they
> can harm the swam by conforming to the protocol, then the protocol needs
> to be fixed. I don't see how they would harm the swarm though.

If they are selectively not downloading pieces that others in their
cluster don't have, they are preventing other clients from outside of
their cluster that connect to them from being able to get the pieces
from them.

If all the slaves were operating 100% by the protocol the following
things would happen:
1> They would continue to download pieces already obtained within their
cluster, either from within their cluster or from outside (I don't care
which personally).
2> They would try to not preference internally to the exclusion of all
external peers.

>>> If the central system advertises possession of pieces it got from
>>> slaves, then you will see all pieces that the helpers download advertised
>>> from two semi-distinct peers. All pieces the central system downloads
>>> from the swam will only be advertised once. This though should not have a
>>> major impact on the balance of the swarm (self-interest on the part of
>>> normal peers should easily even this out), though it is a decent reason
>>> to forbid the central system from advertising possession of pieces it
>>> gets from slaves.
>
>> A request to one peer cannot be fulfilled by another peer that has not
>> received the same request. A request to one peer cannot be fulfilled by
>> another peer when the second peer isn't connected to the requesting peer.
>
> Yes, your point?
>
> Perhaps change that sentence, instead of "from two semi-distinct peers,
> with only one visible download" (the download from slave to master not
> being visible to the swarm). Odd behavior if your client is observing
> very carefully and makes assumptions about precisely how a peer operates,
> but still protocol conformant.

But part of the original proposal had exactly what I mentioned, having
one peer in the cluster redirect the traffic for that piece to another
peer in the cluster.

>>> This is the old "don't disconnect immediately" request. Your slaves
>>> should only disconnect when the master shuts down.
>>>
>>> And how do you prevent the implementation of this anyway? This is trivial
>>> compared any of the other attacks on the swarm that come to mind. Come up
>>> with defenses, don't ignore something that can be done.
>>>
>> Attacks such as?
>
> Hordes of zombies can easily cause disruption in a swam, but even without
> those...
>
> One method is to advertise posession of all pieces, but ensure no one
> ever downloads more than one block from you. By corrupting one block of
> every piece, the clients will have to discard 224KB of data merely for
> 32KB of bandwidth on your part. Oh, make that discard 240KB of data for
> merely 16KB of bandwidth, the smaller block makes this attack a lot more
> efficient. Magnifying your effecting corrupting bandwidth by a factor of
> 15 is pretty powerful. The problem here being that you cannot immediately
> verify every block you download.
I've seen this attack.
Most implementations of this attack come from a single /16 or smaller
subnet that can be trivially blocked with an ip blocker application.
Additionally, the long-term effectiveness of such an attack against a
given swarm is almost nonexistent due to the automatic banning
algorithms already in place in modern mainstream clients.

> Simpler, retrieve random single bytes of random pieces that the peer has.
> Pretty well forces random seeks of your disk subsystem (unless you can
> store the entire torrent in memory). Kills all caches and just plain
> murders performance unless your peer charges extra for small requests and
> every time a new piece is loaded into memory.
>
> There is no way to counteract the first without changing the protocol
> (thankfully the RIAA, MPAA, et al haven't implemented this attack yet).
See above.

> The second can be countered by careful design of the clients, but to my
> knowledge all current clients will be murdered by this.
Have you tested to make sure the second attack is actually viable?