[bittorrent] Basic Queuing Algorithm question.

robert robert.jackman at ntlworld.com
Sun Jun 4 15:39:31 EDT 2006

Hi

Sorry,noob question.
Ok,

I have a question re the queuing algorithm.

On the www.bittorrent.org/protocol.html page it states "that downloaders
should keep several piece requests queued up at once in order to get good TCP
performance ...".

On the wiki.theory.org/BiTtorrentSpecification page it says that peers are to
keep a few unfulfilled requests on each connection.

My question is this,is it the receiver of the request that queues requests or
does the requesting client wait until it has 5 requests to send before
sending.

It might only be me , but i felt that the one of the docs gave different
emphasis in terms of who was doing the queuing,the receiver or the sender.!??

My hunch is that its the receiver that queues the incoming requests.!?

If so,say we are using the default 5 static que.
if 4 more requests don't come in.
Is it common to implement somesort of timeout so that the request gets
fulfilled with a peice message eventually,or will that connection just get
choked off after x amount of time?

Thanks in advance.

Robert.