[bittorrent] Getright HTTP/FTP Seeding proposal

Andrew Greig agreig at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 10:25:35 EST 2006

Hello all,

Today I stumbled upon a new proposal for HTTP/FTP seeding to Bittorrent
clients (http://www.getright.com/seedtorrent.html), which appears to be
implemented in Getright and beta versions of Azureus.  It seems a fair
bit simpler than the previous proposal
(http://www.bittornado.com/docs/webseed-spec.txt) as the HTTP server
doesn't need to do or run anything special, on the other hand a greater
load may be caused on the server by many small requests, although a
method of minimising this is presented.

I'm curious what those here think of this proposal, its advantages or
otherwise compared to the previous webseed proposal, and the usefulness
of HTTP seeding in general.  How many of you client authors would
implement support for such a method?

Cheers,
Andrew Greig