[bittorrent] Trying to create Bittorrent client... very lost

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Wed Feb 8 23:39:53 EST 2006

Sean wrote:

> I am trying to create a bittorrent client for my project class in school
> but I am pretty lost.  Ive read the bittorretn.com/protocol but that
> really didnt help out much.  Ive tried looking at some open source code
> but the majority of it isnt documented very well.  Does anyone know any
> documentation that explains well pretty much everything about
> bittorrent.  For example what is entailed in a connection between a two
> peers or a connection between a peer and a tracker.

The page on bittorrent.com has everything you would need to implement a basic
client, both peer-peer and peer-tracker.  Maybe you need to read it again, since
it's where everyone else that's written a client got their information.  The
section that describes the peer wire protocol starts with the part, "The peer
wire protocol consists of a handshake followed by a never-ending stream of
length-prefixed messages. [...]"

<http://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentSpecification> is another good source that
fills in a little bit on some of the details that are not elaborated on the
bittorrent.com page, but it's basically just restating everything.

Brian