[bittorrent] BT for serving smallish (3MB) files

Harold Feit dwknight at depthstrike.com
Sat Feb 4 16:24:52 EST 2006

I have personally found that, even with smaller files such as the 3mb
files you're looking at using, that BitTorrent is a viable way to reduce
load on the central servers for the files. Actual performance may vary
depending on the popularity of the files.

Trackerless torrents aren't without their problems. If you're going to
use them extensively, make sure the .torrent file contains IP and Port
information of a system in your configuration that will basically always
be on (to be used as a common DHT entry point). Make sure this node has
its listen port open to UDP traffic as well as TCP traffic. The load
that would normally go to the tracker (which isn't really that much)
would go to the DHT nodes instead.