[bittorrent] BT for serving smallish (3MB) files

Gary Robinson grobinson at goombah.com
Sat Feb 4 13:16:21 EST 2006

Hello,

My company has an application (http://www.goombah.coom) that uses
BitTorrent internally to distribute some largish (50MB) data files it
needs to pass around. (The  app is written in Python, if you're
interested.)

This is a music recommendation app, and it allows users to acquire
(legal) music files. This are typically much smaller than the files
mentioned above -- they tend to be in the 3MB size range. I have heard
it said that BT isn't worth it for files less than 10MB. But, we would
like to get the load for serving the files off of our servers and
spread among the clients.

So, a series of questions:

1) With 3MB files, and many people downloading each one at once, is
there  still significant server bandwidth using a BT tracker compared
to just serving the files? Does anyone have any statistics?

2) How well does trackerless BT work at present? Under the
circumstances laid out in (1) above, what would the pros and cons be?
It seems that, at least from the perspective of our server load, it
would eliminate the question of whether it would be worth it to use BT
for files < 10MB, since there is no tracker load.

Many thanks for any help anyone can give with these questions.

Gary

--

Gary Robinson
CTO