[bittorrent] Bitfield data... First bits meaning?

Alan McGovern alan.mcgovern at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 08:46:35 EST 2006

Hi,

>From here: http://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentSpecification

bitfield: <len=0001+X><id=5><bitfield>

The *bitfield* message may only be sent immediately after the handshaking
sequence is completed, and before any other messages are sent. It is
optional, and need not be sent if a client has no pieces.

The *bitfield* message is variable length, where X is the length of the
bitfield. The payload is a bitfield representing the pieces that have been
successfully downloaded. The high bit in the first byte corresponds to piece
index 0. Bits that are cleared indicated a missing piece, and set bits
indicate a valid and available piece. Spare bits at the end are set to zero.

*A bitfield of the wrong length is considered an error. Clients should drop
the connection if they receive bitfields that are not of the correct size,
or if the bitfield has any of the spare bits set.*