[bittorrent] Bitfield data... First bits meaning?

Bernard Morin jrchukalescu at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 08:30:26 EST 2006

Hi everyone...

I'm newbie on this forum and in bittorrent development too...

For a semester project, I'm writing a bittorrent client in Java.
Everything works fine, messages exchange is set up and peers communicates
correctly, except that I don't understand the meaning of the first bits of
the bitfield messages...
Actually, bitfield should represent the pieces that the remote peers have.
But when I check this field, it always contains cleared (0) bits at the
beginning and the end, even when I'm contacting a seed...

For the trailing bits, it is ok, since they are spare bits and should be
ignored. But the first ones, I just don't get what they mean...
Could someone help me please...