[bittorrent] Load questions

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Fri Dec 1 20:59:47 EST 2006

I've only got some very old information on this, but I know there are many
newer advances (my information is pre-DHT). What kind of server load am I
looking at for BT? Assuming good clients (since I'll have significant
control over the clients as well), and the availability of DHT. I'm
particularly curious about the scaling as 1M+ users come into the system.
Due to the data being distributed there would be an exponential curve for
the popularity of torrents, that is to say that >80% of the peers will be
connected to <20% of the torrents, probably more like 90:10, or even 95:5.
For this I will obviously be throwing the compute power necessary behind it,
as well as the RAM and storage, but for estimation purposes, does anyone
have any approximations on these?

I'm expecting imperfect answers but I am hoping to get something I can
base some ballpark estimates on.
                        Joe