[bittorrent] Questions related to mainline DHT specs...

NewMedia42 newmedia42 at excite.com
Wed Aug 16 00:00:01 EDT 2006

For what it's worth, I've been testing against the uTorrent DHT implementation, and there are a couple of variations that it appears to have added - some minor, some major.  I haven't checked it against mainline, but how I read the specs it looks different.

First, uTorrent adds a 'v' key to each message, which as you might expect includes some version info - in their imlpementation, it's 4 bytes and starts with "UT".

Next, which is a bit more of a pain is that when it returns the 'values' for a 'get_peers' request, instead of them being in a string field, they're actually contained in a list.  The interesting thing is that when they return 'nodes', it comes back in a string instead of a list, so that seems to track with with what I would expect.  I would imagine that this makes it so uTorrent users can get nodes and peers from normal BT DHT's, but unless mainline supports this variation, they can't actually get peers from uTorrent DHT clients.

I just thought I would give anyone else a heads up that's looking at DHT.