[bittorrent] What is the difference between Peer Exchange andDHT ?

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Tue Apr 25 22:38:10 EDT 2006

Elliott Mitchell wrote:

> The only real difference is that with the above, you only need to
> bootstrap one peer. After you've got one peer, you can use DHT to find
> other peers, but you still need a centralized resource (sounds an awful
> lot like "tracker") to join the swarm. While with the conventional
> tracker, you need the tracker for each additional peer added. I'll admit
> making things less dependant on the tracker is nice, but you've still got
> the bootstrap problem.

While this is technically true, don't all DHT-capable clients ship with
a handful of fixed well-known DHT bootstrap nodes?  For all practical
purposes (at least until aelitis or whoever stops running them) this is
not an issue at all, since it just happens silently the first time you
run the client and that's that.

Brian