[bittorrent] Introductory/endgame algorithms

Harold Feit - Depthstrike.com administrator dwknight at depthstrike.com
Mon Sep 26 10:56:22 EDT 2005

- From http://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentSpecification just above
"Tracker 'scrape' Convention":
Implementer's Note: Even 30 peers is plenty, the official client in
fact only actively forms new connections if it has less than 30 peers
and will refuse connections if it has 55. This value is crucial to
performance. When a new piece has completed download, HAVE messages
(see below) will need to be sent to most active peers. As a result
the cost of broadcast traffic grows in direct proportion to the
number of peers. Above 25, new peers are highly unlikely to increase
download speed. UI designers are strongly advised to make this
obscure and hard to change as it is very rare to be useful to do so.