[bittorrent] Introductory/endgame algorithms

Olaf van der Spek olafvdspek at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 05:34:06 EDT 2005

On 9/23/05, Andreas Aardal Hanssen <bittorrent at andreas.hanssen.name> wrote:
> The warming-up algorithm I've got is that all connections download the
> same piece initially, so that the client gets a full piece to share as
> soon as possible. This works quite well, and currently they're all asking
> for one piece. Do anyone on this list implement a similar algorithm?

XBT Client does the same by preferring partially downloaded pieces
when less than four (4) pieces have been completed.
How do you choose the initial piece though?

> Also, what do other clients use to determine when to enter the endgame
> mode?

It depends on how exactly you implement end-mode, but I'd think a good
starting point is if all chunks/pieces have already been requested.