[bittorrent] bittorrent understanding/alogrithms..

Arnaud Legout Arnaud.Legout at sophia.inria.fr
Fri Oct 21 03:46:47 EDT 2005

Hi,

bruce wrote:
> aside from the bittorrent site.. is there a resource that i can look at to
> get a feel for exactly how/why bittorrent works??

you can have a look at the following resources.

*the unofficial bittorrent spec that is the most up to date. However,
don't expect a full spec from it.
If you want to implement something, you ought to look at the code of a
client.
I would recommend
-the mainline client, it is a clean and short code written in phyton
with the latest protocol features (and in particular a new seed mode
that every client should implement), but it is not documented at all.
Note that we should
should make available a documented and instrumented version of the
mainline client in a not too far future.
-the azureus client, which is in java and documented, but with a lot of
code that has nothing to do with the protocol itself (GUI, update, etc.)
it may be not so easy to find your way in the classes.
http://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentSpecification

*If you want to understand why P2P bittorrent-like protocols are so
efficient I would recommend
Service capacity in peer-to-peer networks. X. Yang and G. de Veciana.
In Proc. IEEE INFOCOM'04 ,
pages 1-11, March 2004
http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~gustavo/papers/YaD04.pdf

*If you look for an experimental analysis of BitTorrent (mainline 4.x
client), you should have a look to our study:
A. Legout, G. Urvoy-Keller, and P. Michiardi. Understanding BitTorrent:
An Experimental Perspective.
Technical Report (inria-00000156, version 2 - 19 July 2005), INRIA,
Sophia Antipolis, July 2005
http://hal.inria.fr/inria-00000156/en

Regards,
Arnaud.