[bittorrent] is there any linux command line bittorrent clientwhich support NAT traversal?

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Fri Oct 21 02:09:02 EDT 2005

galy lee wrote:

> program.  I am using ctorrent now.  But it seems that the ctorrent
> doesn't support NAT-NAT traversal, is there any solution to address
> this problem?

NAT traversal was never a part of the protocol design, other than the
fact that NAT users can connect to non-NAT users but not other NAT users
(unless ports are forwarded.)  BitTorrent uses TCP exclusively[*], and
there's no way that I'm aware of to get around the requirement for at
least one side to be able to receive incoming connections.  All the
NAT-busting methods use UDP.  So don't get your hopes up.

> And I want the connection use SSH, how can I do this?

You could do some LD_PRELOAD trickery to socksify any client and force
all its traffic through a tunnel.  But again encryption isn't part of
the protocol (well, it was in the original design but that's been
removed for years) so no client is going to do it natively.  And doing
socks tunneling like this will most likely mean that you give up the
ability to receive incoming connections.

[*] There is of course a UDP client->tracker extension but this is
irrelevent.

Brian