[bittorrent] seeding from same machine as tracker

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Thu Oct 6 02:08:00 EDT 2005

etienne deleflie wrote:

> The end user has posted (to my site) a torrent file ... which I want to
> download immediately. The end user created the torrent using an announce
> URL of my external IP address. Are you suggesting that when I get the
> torrent, I somehow copy the torrent file and replace the outside IP
> address with the internal one.. so that my internal client can see the
> tracker? Is that doable? (and if so, can that modified announce URL
> download act as a seed for external downloads?)

I don't know how many different ways I can say it.  Your NAT router
doesn't let you connect to a local service using the public interface.
So, trying to run a torrent that has an announce corresponding to the
external interface will not work.  You either have to edit the announce,
or edit the hosts file so that that domain name in the announce URL
resolves to the internal address.  Or get a NAT router that has this
loopback feature.

You *also* have to use the --ip override for the local client, otherwise
the tracker will advertise the peer's RFC1918 address to external peers
which obviously won't work.

Brian