[bittorrent] seeding from same machine as tracker

etienne deleflie et at lalila.net
Thu Oct 6 01:23:22 EDT 2005

Brian Dessent wrote:

>Olaf van der Spek wrote:
>

>>><urlopen *error* (*111*, 'Connection refused')> *...*
>>>

>>Find out to what it tries to connect and why that's failing.
>>

>It means that his NAT router doesn't allow loopback connections to its
>public interface from the local side.  He needs to connect to it using
>its RFC1918 address.  He can do this by either using a copy of the
>torrent file with a modified announce

The end user has posted (to my site) a torrent file ... which I want to
download immediately. The end user created the torrent using an announce
URL of my external IP address. Are you suggesting that when I get the
torrent, I somehow copy the torrent file and replace the outside IP
address with the internal one.. so that my internal client can see the
tracker? Is that doable? (and if so, can that modified announce URL
download act as a seed for external downloads?)

>or by editing the hosts file.

ok .... /etc/hosts ..........  edit it how? ....  I can see that if I
could make my server think that its internal IP is the same as the
external IP then that would work ... but that will break my network wont
it?

this is my /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost ubuntu

fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Lastly ... googling suggested an other option ... using DNS .... it is
easy to make a DNS address (called internally) immediatley resolve to an
internal IP (and also make the same DNS address (called externally)
resolve to my external IP) ..... but my tracker's URL has no name ....
its just the IP address ... so I cant do that solution.

Etienne