[bittorrent] modyfying announce URL in the binary torrent

etienne deleflie et at lalila.net
Fri Nov 11 15:53:33 EST 2005

Harold,

>I have the option of writing a php-based torrent editor to re-do the
>announce url or sending you a copy of my vb.net announce url replacer.
>
>Either way, you still need to specify a public IP on the seed.

... the torrent that users launch contains the public IP of my server
that hosts the tracker (is that what you mean?)

Since I want to first and foremost download the file (that is being
torrented) to my local server I am thinking that I have to create a
_copy_ of the torrent, change its URL to localhost... so that my local
client can then download it, and seed it ...

but are you suggesting that if the URL is changed to localhost then I
wont be able to seed it? .... even if the tracker is on the same server?
(i.e. localhost)

I was going to use some shell scripts to do search and replace of
announce URL on the copies of the torrents ... but if you have some
exsiting scripts, that would be great ..... only thing is, I'm on Linux.

Etienne