[bittorrent] modyfying announce URL in the binary torrent

Harold Feit - Depthstrike.com administrator dwknight at depthstrike.com
Fri Nov 11 15:02:45 EST 2005

Utilities to edit a torrent's announce url aren't uncommon, however I find
the option of setting an IP to Name mapping of a trackers internal IP to its
domain name using a hosts file (%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts on
windows 2000/xp/2003, /etc/hosts on linux) is most effective in making sure
a seed who is using the same connection as the tracker can connect to the
swarm. Using the client's ability to specify an IP can be used to specify
the public IP of the client to the tracker so that inbound connections are
still possible.

The announce url itself doesn't really affect how the tracker and peers
identify the torrent, it just affects where the peers go looking for their
batches of other peers.