[bittorrent] seeding from same machine as tracker

etienne deleflie et at lalila.net
Fri Nov 4 20:18:47 EST 2005

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for posting the pointer ....... I eventually kind-of-solved my
problem by using a free public tracker, which so far has been quite
reliable.  I'm using http://www.bittorrent-support.com/. Just means I
cant have stats about my how many people have downloaded the torrents
(or maybe I can?).

I'm not sure that your solution helps me though. Because in my use case
scenario, someone on the internet posts a torrent to my web site .....
then I want my server to download it automatically.... so that it can
permanently seed it.  The torrent that they posted uses the announce URL
of my tracker (i.e. uses the static IP allocated to my server by my ISP)

I dont have the means to get their torrent, read it, change the announce
URL (to use localhost instead of the outside IP) and seed it. At least I
dont think that is easily possible.  ... please enlighten me if it is.

Etienne