[bittorrent] simulator for unstructured p2p

Simon Spero ses at unc.edu
Tue May 31 08:58:23 EDT 2005

Tom H. Lan wrote:

> Are there any good simulator especially designed for unstructured p2p
> networks? Please offer me a hand if anyone knows about it.

planet lab has been used for a lot of overlay network experiments, but
that's not really a simulator; it's more of a fake real network :)

Most network simulation stuff uses NS2 as a basis (
http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ ) .

A group from CMU & Microsoft Research did some simulation experiments
for bittorrent that gave some very nice results. For performance reasons
they didn't model transport layer interactions in this study, so some
bittorrent pathologies weren't captured; however, because this let them
scale up to a much larger network of nodes, they were able to uncover
all sorts of nifty effects.

I don't know if this simulation software is available online anywhere?

Analyzing and Improving BitTorrent Performance
<http://www.research.microsoft.com/%7Epadmanab/papers/msr-tr-2005-03.pdf>
A. R. Bharambe, C. Herley, and V. N. Padmanabhan
Microsoft Research Technical Report MSR-TR-2005-03
February 2005

Good luck

Simon