[bittorrent] BT, Nats, and hackers at the door...

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon May 30 21:47:54 EDT 2005

--On Monday, May 30, 2005 6:14 PM -0700 Elliott Mitchell <ehem at m5p.com>
wrote:

> Prior to being compromised, neither IE nor OE ever has ports open. Yet
> we're all aware that these are the two programs most often compromised.

True, the prevalence of spyware and adware are primarily through "pull"
technologies, like web browsing and clicking on attachments. The user has
to initiate the infection.

> Though another minor delaying factor that will slow down an attacker, and
> perhaps make them move onto someone more vulernerable firewalls are not
> magical security end-alls. The three main things needed to stay secure
> are patching your software, patching, and more patches. If you've got
> that problem solved, who needs a firewall?

Except that it doesn't protect against ignorance or poor practice, as one
sees in pull technologies.

But it does help with systems like XP that came with lots of buggy services
open, and I only wish more would know to patch it up to the latest,
*before* plugging the box directly into the Internet. During the period
when one needs to *acquire* the patches, a separate firewall is invaluable.

I play Half-Life 2 and shortly after acquisition took a poll on what
platform (hardware and OS) users were playing it on. It was apalling the
percentage that were still using XP pre-SP1. IIRC, it was well above 10%,
for a game with millions of users. That's a lot of zombies.