[bittorrent] BT, Nats, and hackers at the door...

Bill Cox bill at viasic.com
Mon May 30 04:12:32 EDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 21:35 -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> --On Sunday, May 29, 2005 6:54 AM -0400 Bill Cox <bill at viasic.com> wrote:
>
> > I've got random password guessers from France and
> > the Netherlands hacking the ssh port.
>
> Note that they are *only* hacking port 22. Move ssh to another port (it's a
> simple edit to the config file) and the attempts stop.

Thanks.  I've now done this.  I'm sure it will help.

> IPv6 has a larger port space and a larger address space, far too large for
> a  port scanner to have any hope of locating listening ports without prior
> knowledge of your network. You should endeavor to choose random addresses
> within your (large) assigned address space to make it harder for automated
> scripts to find your internal servers. (This in addition to other security
> practices. Practice defense in depth by putting more than one obstacle in
> the way of crackers.)

This sounds like good ideas for making Windows machines safer, and I'm
sure our Linux distros will continue to improve as well.

However, the trend seems to be making it even more difficult for the
average Mom to open a p2p port for the outside world to use.

Bill