[bittorrent] BT, Nats, and hackers at the door...

Bill Cox bill at viasic.com
Sun May 29 11:38:32 EDT 2005

Hi, Olaf.

On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 13:57 +0200, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On 5/29/05, Bill Cox <bill at viasic.com> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I'm a big fan of p2p networking, and think it has great potential.  I've
> > posted some of my concerns here about NAT translators going away with
> > IPv6 adoption, which is good for p2p, and bad for security.
>
> What prevents you from replacing your NAT with a stateful firewall?

I think I will.  However, installing and managing a stateful firewall
requires more networking skill than the average mom has.  It'll work for
me, but what about the masses?  How can they be protected if they have
open p2p ports and fixed IPv6 addresses?

> > Just to play around a bit, I've started running a Linux server at home
> > on a fixed IP address, with just a few ports open (ssh, mail, web, and
> > of course BT).  It's probably already been hacked, but new hacking
>
> Why would it be hacked already?

I haven't been able to find any evidence that the hacking attempts have
succeeded.  However, how would I know?  Clearly there are several groups
of hackers who are trying...

> > attempts come daily.  I've got random password guessers from France and
> > the Netherlands hacking the ssh port.  I've got would-be-spammers
>
> Are you afraid your password isn't strong enough?
> Have you looked into public key authentication?

I only allow ssh encrypted connections through mail and ssh, so in
theory I should be ok.  I doubt they'll ever guess a valid passord/user
combo.

> > hacking the mail ports from Taiwan, Korea, and China.  And, of course,
> > root on this machine gets spammed!
>
> :( indeed. But what's the relation with open ports?

They spam my open mail server port.