[bittorrent] Combining conventional mirrors with BT

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Fri May 27 15:15:23 EDT 2005

Hello,

Does HTTP and FTP allow you to download fragments of a file?  (I.e.,
can you ask an HTTP or FTP serer to give you a piece of a file
starting the offset "X" and with length "Y"?)

(For HTTP, perhaps the WebDAV extension [to HTTP] does.  But don't
know for sure.)

See ya

On 5/27/05, Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:
> --On Friday, May 27, 2005 3:47 PM -0300 "Harold Feit - Depthstrike.com
> administrator" <dwknight at depthstrike.com> wrote:
>
> > 1> BitTornado's WebSeed ( http://bittornado.com/docs/webseed-spec.txt
>
> This adds a new "webseed" entry to the metadata which points to servers
> offering a BT-like seeding client in a web script. It requires that the
> mirror supply this script.
>
> What I was hoping for was something that doesn't require any action on the
> part of mirrors, but which draws data directly from the mirrors. So for
> instance, an entry that points to a page with a list of mirrors. The
> average client can then draw fragments from a set of mirrors without the
> mirrors needing any knowledge of BT.
>
> I tend to pull a lot of large game content from the net, typically patches
> or "map packs". Typically several mirrors spring up quickly to help take
> the load off the original content creator. The volunteers who set these up
> don't want to go through the hassle of setting up a BT peer to serve the
> mirror. But there's usually at least one volunteer who knows how to do it.
> It would be nice if all the conventional mirrors could be used as seeds in
> the swarm without any special action on their part.

     Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.

     charles @ reptile.ca
     supercanadian @ gmail.com