[bittorrent] Combining conventional mirrors with BT

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri May 27 15:06:16 EDT 2005

--On Friday, May 27, 2005 3:47 PM -0300 "Harold Feit - Depthstrike.com
administrator" <dwknight at depthstrike.com> wrote:

> 1> BitTornado's WebSeed ( http://bittornado.com/docs/webseed-spec.txt

This adds a new "webseed" entry to the metadata which points to servers
offering a BT-like seeding client in a web script. It requires that the
mirror supply this script.

What I was hoping for was something that doesn't require any action on the
part of mirrors, but which draws data directly from the mirrors. So for
instance, an entry that points to a page with a list of mirrors. The
average client can then draw fragments from a set of mirrors without the
mirrors needing any knowledge of BT.

I tend to pull a lot of large game content from the net, typically patches
or "map packs". Typically several mirrors spring up quickly to help take
the load off the original content creator. The volunteers who set these up
don't want to go through the hassle of setting up a BT peer to serve the
mirror. But there's usually at least one volunteer who knows how to do it.
It would be nice if all the conventional mirrors could be used as seeds in
the swarm without any special action on their part.