[bittorrent] using bittorrent for cluster file distribution

larytet.8708132 at bloglines.com larytet.8708132 at bloglines.com
Thu May 26 20:16:20 EDT 2005

hi,
i suggest to try Rodi client
see screen shots  http://larytet.sourceforge.net/images/tests/

http://larytet.sourceforge.net/images/userManual/

in my tests i reach
150KBytes/s and higher

more links here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodi

--- Ryan Stenson" <rms48 at cornell.edu wrote:
Hi all,

> I'm a consultant
at the Cornell Theory Center (www.tc.cornell.edu
> <http://www.tc.cornell.edu/>
).  We're considering using BitTorrent to move
> large files from a file
server/job submit node to the compute nodes (1:M).
> Using multicast, we
get about 30-40 Mb/s, however our network (GigE) should
> be capable of 800+.
 Does anyone have similar experience with this sort of
> application?
>

> I've setup Bittorrent on a few servers in an attempt to speed up our
current
> multicast file distribution system (we do a lot of copying from
a few
> fileservers to dozens of clients).
>
> I start the tracker
with:              bttrack.py --port 6969 --dfile dstate
the torrent with:     btmaketorrent.py http://IP:6969/announce
> c:\temp\filename

> and seed the torrent with:          btdownloadheadless.py
> \\server\filename.torrent
--save_as c:\temp\filename
> and download it to the clients with the same
command.

> I'm only seeing 20 KB/s transfer speeds over Gigabit ethernet
(these
> machines are dual xeon's, 4gb ram, etc.).  We see 30-40 Mb/s over
multicast,
> which is extremely slow compared to our theoretical throughput
of 800+ Mb/s.
> Are there any default settings that are limiting my throughput?
 Any other